19 December 2011
The world's largest music industry trade fair announces the finalists in its new marketing competition
The midem event, which takes place in Cannes from 28-31 January, will see a collision of music-makers, technology companies, brands & talent. New for 2012, however, is a marketing competition which is seeking to identify, celebrate and reward campaigns which show an innovative use of music - be it an artist/brand endorsement, live sponsoring, talent discovering or even the creation of a bespoke record label.
The breakdown of the entries provides a telling insight into which sectors are investing in music; of the submitted campaigns, 23% came from transport brands, 21% from major retail names, 19% technology brands, 17% from the luxury and beauty sector, 7% from entertainment, 7% leisure, 4% finance and 2% from institutions.
Contagious was responsible for whittling down the entries to a list of ten finalists (shown below). Those responsible have been invited to present their campaigns in Cannes to midem participants and a jury made up of executives from the music industry, advertising agencies and brands, as well as media personalities.
midem Marketing Competition Finalists (in no particular order)
• "AIRTEL ONE8 - The Birth of a Music Revolution" presented by ROCKSTAR4000 Music Entertainment (South Africa)
• "Carte Musique" presented by Euro RSCG C&O and The Hours (France)
• "Converse Rubber Tracks" presented by Cornerstone and Converse Inc. (USA)
• "HTC Chacha Show" presented by Newcast - Vivaki (France)
• "Mein Tweet als Lied. Mit Vodafone" presented by Torben, Lucie und die gelbe Gefahr GmbH (Germany)
• "Plan B- Ballantine's" presented by Optimedia and Digital Novaemusik (Spain)
• "The Spa Therapy Album" presented by Pitch & Sync (UK)
• "The Station Sessions Summer Festival" presented by The Syllabus Agency (UK)
• "The Vaccines 'Wetsuit' Instagram Video" presented by Anomaly (UK)
• "American Express Unstaged" presented by Digitas and Momentum (USA)
Check out the link below for a video round up of all ten finalists.